2016 has been without a doubt one of the most difficult years of my life. I think a lot of people would agree with me when I say that it kind of felt like 2016 was chaotic and mostly kind of sad.
All of the chaos aside though, this year has been one of extreme personal growth for me. I think that because this year was so hard in so many ways it forced me to put a lot of things into perspective.
Here are 16 things that 2016 taught me.
1. I don’t have to forgive people who hurt me. I don’t have to save friendships that are not worth it.
2. I deserve so much love and happiness from myself and from others.
3. There’s no right or wrong way to live. Just be.
4. Pineapple is a good pizza topping.
5. Life doesn’t move in a circle, or a straight line. It goes up and down. Things will get bad, but they will get better again.
6. I shouldn’t try to be a certain way because the way that I am is enough and it always will be.
7. Popularity on social media is not important whatsoever and the amount of followers or likes I get won’t matter to me in the long run.
8. When I am excited about something, no matter how small, I shouldn’t feel ashamed for being happy. I deserve it.
9. Other people’s opinions of me are none of my business.
10. Family is the most important thing ever. Family is not always biological.
11. Welcome all emotions, happy or sad. All things are temporary and all things help shape who you are.
12. I can eat whatever I want without guilt, without excuses, without criticizing myself.
13. You don’t have to love yourself before others can love you. The love from others can help you fall in love with yourself.
14. Life is change. Growth is optional.
15. Not everything in life is worth holding onto. It’s okay to let some stuff go.
16. Asking for help is a sign of bravery, not weakness.
All things considered, this year helped me overcome some of my biggest obstacles. I learned a lot of really important lessons in 2016. I can’t wait to see what changes 2017 will bring.